Monday, June 30, 2014

“… It is never too late so long as the Master … says there is time. … Don’t delay.”

Servus! :)

This week waaaaas amazing! Sister McEwen and I are the best of friends. Seriously, we are constantly laughing and having a good time and doing some incredible work! We had a couple of appointments fall out and so we had some extra time to do some... you guessed it - finding!  We went out and just talked with everything that moved and found loads of people TOTALLY ready to receive the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.  We had set a goal to find 10 people this week and we found 18 in two hours! (And on a not too busy street!)  It's so incredible that as we just set our plans by the Spirit (we like to pray before we set goals and make plans for the coming day and week and then go on how we feel). It really works so well!

I loved this quote I read this morning from C.S. Lewis:

“I pray because I can’t help myself. … I pray because the need flows out of me all the time, waking and sleeping. It doesn’t change God. It changes me.”3

M is one of our amazing investigators.. I think I've mentioned her before.. can't remember! Either way, she's a young student and has such a big heart. As we've been teaching her about God as our Heavenly Father, that she can be cleansed from her sins and start fresh, we've been able to see this light really just grow within her. She's received this brightness of hope in her life and is making huge changes in order to prepare herself for sacred covenants. Our lesson in Sunday School yesterday was about Baptism (I was translating for her), and at the very end of the class, she turned to me and said, 'Sister Harman, I think I am almost ready for my baptism. I think God wants me to be changed in Him' She was so sincere and so excited that all I could do was give her a big hug and tell her that God was so proud of the steps that she is making in her life.

''But truly our Father knows us and hears the pleadings of our hearts. He accomplishes His miracles one prayer at a time, one person at a time.'

I've found that as I take the time to help each person, one at a time. To reach out in love, to each Child of God that I meet - they respond in that same Spirit, that spirit of love, appreciation, the Spirit of God.

Spiritual experiences:

Last Sunday, a Bruder came up and talked to an investigator (17) and I. He promptly invited Sister McEwen and I over for dinner for the following Sunday aka yesterday. I didn't think anything of it. I had never met this Bruderl before but, members like inviting the new missionaries over so it wasn't too surprising. We got home after church and I realized this is Familie has 2 less active sons YSA aged, an 18 year old that isn't sure he wants to go on a mission, and an 11 year old that is still going strong. Their older 3 sons served missions, married in the temple and have cute little families. My first Sunday, I asked about the YSA program and everyone said it was pretty much dead. Loads of inactives and that I shouldn't bother reaching out because they were 'too far gone'.  So last week, I realized that this family was on the so called 'too far gone' list.  But, Sister McEwen and I are both go-getters so I thought. PFFFT. The Lord put the two of us together here in Linz so that we could reach people.
So we went to this appointment (and got our investigator invited as well) and worked like crazy! We hit it off with the sons.  We talked so much about missions, about how they've changed our lives and at the end of the lunch and then lesson, the sons agreed to come to the YSA activity today (they NEVER come!) and our investigator agreed to pray about a baptismal date! 

Then this morning I read this quote in the GC Liahona, which says:

It is not yet too late to repent. But it soon may be, because no one really knows when your four minutes will be over.

Now, you may be thinking to yourself, “I already blew it. My four minutesare already a disaster. I may as well give up.” If so, stop thinking that, and never think it again. The miracle of the Atonement can make up forimperfections in our performance. As Elder Jeffrey R. Holland has taught:

“To those of you … who may still be hanging back, … I testify of the renewing power of God’s love and the miracle of His grace. …

“… It is never too late so long as the Master … says there is time. … Don’t delay.”10

From Your Four Minutes by Bishop Gary L. Stevenson

I just have such a strong testimony that no one is ever too far gone. That there is always a way and we just need to throw away all our misconceptions and just love, and talk to people by the Spirit. When we do that, it doesn't matter who they are; active, inactive, boy, girl, rich, poor, clean or dirty! It just matters that we treat people with the respect and love due to an Heir in the kingdom of God! :)


We've started to work more with the ward and really accomplish the goals that they have set for missionary work. As we work with them, we're seeing this incredible miracles, just one person at a time! 

Thank you all for being my miracles! Every time I hear about your successes (baseball for Zach and Josh, jobs for Jeff and Jordan, school for Drew, Katie conquering wisdom teeth, Mom keeping house and home in order, and Dad leading the family all the way), I rejoice with you! I love you all bunches and bunches!

Love your favorite (insert whatever I am to you),

Sister Harman

Editor's note:  No pictures this week.  :(  

No comments:

Post a Comment